Call for String Quartets
The International Spring Orchestra Festival (ISOFestival) in collaboration with the 2017 Maltese Presidency of the Council of the European Union are inviting young European Composers to participate in an international composers’ forum during the 11th edition of the International Spring Orchestra Festival 28 April – 9 May 2017.
The scope of this venture is to create an open dialogue between the selected composers, their Maltese counterparts, musicians and the general public on today’s music as a vehicle to go beyond frontiers in view of the diverse contemporary society and how composers are reacting to this ever-growing fact in their work and musical language.
Composers interested in participating during the Forum are invited to submit a work for string quartet (2 Violins, Viola and Violoncello) to be performed during the 11th edition of the ISOFestival on 4 May. The ISOFestival will cover flights and accommodation expenses.
Conditions of Entry
1. The call is open to all EU born composers under the age of 40 (as of 31 December 2017), irrespective of gender, sexual orientation and religious belief, to submit one score for String Quartet to be workshopped between Saturday 29 April and Wednesday 3 May, and performed by the Baltic Neapolis String Quartet on Thursday 4 May at Palazzo Pereira, Valletta.
2. Only one score per entry is allowed
3. The works should be written for String quartet (2 Violins, Viola and Violoncello) and in the length of 10 to 15 minutes.
4. An administration fee of €10 (to cover printing and postages expenses) payable via bank transfer to the following account:
International Spring Orchestra Festival
HSBC Bank, Merchant’s street Valletta, MALTA
Swift Code / BIC: MMEBMTMT
5. Deadline for the submission of scores and parts: 1st February 2017
1. Anonymous entries (with a pseudonym) should be sent to:
2. Email should include the following as attachments:
• 5 PDF [typeset] A4 Scores (Full score and parts) in the following format:
• Copy of Passport or Identity Card (PDF or JPEG) in the following format:
pseudonym_identity.pdf / .jpg
• A biography of the composer (word document) in the following format:
• Proof of payment (PDF or JPEG) in the following format:
pseudonym_proof_of_payment.pdf / .jpg
• Contact details of the composer (pseudonym_contact_details.doc) in the following format:
Title of Work:
3. Should the composer’s name or an indication of the composer’s identity appear on the score will automatically disqualify the candidate.
1. After the 1st February the scores will be sent [in paper format] to the Baltic Neapolis String Quartet who will shortlist 10 works.
2. The 10 shortlisted quartets will be sent [in paper format] to the head of the Jury, and workshop leader, who will in turn choose 3 works to be workshopped and performed.
3. The names of the 3 selected composers will be published on the International Spring Orchestra Festival website: www.iso-festival.com by 1st March 2017.
The selected composers must be available to attend the workshops, seminars and concert from Friday 28 to Friday 5 May.
The Organisers will cover flight expenses (round trip from the composer’s country of residence) and accommodation in Valletta from Friday 28 to Friday 5 May, airport and hotel transfers, as well as invitations to concerts taking place during their stay in Malta.
The selected composers will attend seminars with the workshop leader, other invited speakers from the Maltese music community and workshops of their respective compositions with the Baltic Neapolis String Quartet.
It is expected of the selected composers to give a presentation on their work and aesthetics and share discussions with the other members and audience participating in the seminars.
Each composer will receive a recording of the concert.