In 2017, for the first time, the UnCaged Toy Piano (US) and Conlon Foundation (NL) will collaborate on a joint call for submissions for the 2017 Robot Keyboard Prize. For this year’s competition, we are seeking adventurous new works for Ranjit Bhatnagar's midi-controlled Robot Toy Piano. Innovative ways of integrating electronics are encouraged, but not mandatory.
The prize for 1st place is a performance in the Gaudeamus Muziekweek (Utrecht, Holland) in September 2017 and the UnCaged Toy Piano Festival (New York City, December 2017), plus $1000 of which $500 from the UnCaged Toy Piano and $500 from Conlon Foundation towards travel/accommodation costs, to enable the prize winner to attend the performance in Utrecht, NL. The prize for Honorable Mention is a performance in the Gaudeamus Muziekweek (Utrecht, Holland) in September 2017 and the UnCaged Toy Piano Festival (New York City, December 2017).
Guidelines for the competition:
1. The competition is open to composers and sound artists of all ages and nationalities.
2. Works must be written for the Robot Toy Piano as a concert work (not installations).
3. Works may include one live performer on a conventional or unconventional instrument (i.e. orchestral, homemade, or mechanized instrument)
4. The duration of the piece may be no longer than 15 minutes.
The deadline for submissions is April 1st, 2017 and should include:
1. A short bio of the composer in pdf.
2. A score/information sheet with a detailed description of the work in pdf.
3. A downloadable audio and/or video preview of the work in .mp3 or .avi. or a link to a website where the file remains available until June 1st, 2017
The decision of the jury will be made public no later than June 1st, 2017.
The Robot Toy Piano