Organized by the Ontario Band Association and the Canadian Music Centre
The Canadian Music Centre (Ontario Region) and the Ontario Band Association are presenting the fourth instalment of the Wind Composition project, a collaborative workshop that stimulates greater interest in contemporary Canadian educational band repertoire. This edition of the workshop will create direct relationships between individual composers and bands, so that one band will be dedicated to rehearsing and recording/performing one piece. Composers can apply through an online form. Apart from the call for scores, the invitation to bands is available here.
Deadline for submissions: January 20, 2017
- The reading session is open to any Canadian composer.
- Composers are welcome to submit underperformed and unperformed pieces, which may be published or unpublished, as well as sketches of works that are in development
if selected, scores and parts for published pieces must be provided by the composer.
- A composer may submit one piece for consideration
- The emphasis of the reading session is music for beginner and intermediate concert band (level 1, 2, and 3). The American Band College Music Grading Chart is available on the CMC and OBA sites as reference. Composers are encouraged to review the leveling information and provide the level for their submitted work—this can be an estimate.
The number of pieces selected will reflect the number of participating bands. We will aim to select 5-10 pieces for inclusion in the workshop. We will seek to have a representative group from among the applicants. Attention will be given to pieces that meet the technical requirements of the suggested level of the piece as well as the suitability and accessibility of the piece to a student group.
*Composers are strongly encouraged to attend the reading workshop in person. Once again, this will be determined by the response from Ontario-based bands, and where possible the CMC and OBA will seek to facilitate conferencing options for remote participants.
Submission Requirements: please submit the following through the online application form:
- PDF Score, provide a link to the document (on dropbox, issuu, etc)
- A CV including a list of works, provide a link to the document (on dropbox, issuu, etc)
- Artistic statement (max 500 words): a short statement introducing the piece and its usefulness in an education setting
- Optional: you can submit a link to streaming audio/video for your piece
- January 20, 2017: Deadline for submissions
- January 30: Results will be announced
- February-May: composers are paired with bands. Dialogue and consultation with conductor, musicians
*Scheduling of rehearsals and readings (locations and timings TBD)
Questions and Information: Contact Matthew Fava (firstname.lastname@example.org, 416.417.4469 x 207)