CMC Toronto Emerging Composer Award 2016-17
Deadline: January 23, 2017
The Canadian Music Centre Toronto Emerging Composer Award recognizes the excellent work of emerging concert music creators in the Greater Toronto Area. The Award supports the creation of a new musical work, or the completion of an existing music-based project. It will be offered to the candidate who best demonstrates artistic excellence matched by innovation, experimentation, and a willingness to take risks. The Toronto Emerging Composer Award is made possible through the support of Roger D. Moore, and generous individual supporters.
Eligibility: Consideration for the Award is open to emerging composers residing within the Greater Toronto Area, or whose permanent residence is within the Greater Toronto Area. Composers in the earliest stages of their professional careers are eligible. Please be aware that commissioned musical works, and compositions that have already received full financial assistance from elsewhere, are ineligible. Past winners of the Toronto Emerging Composer Award are not eligible to apply.
Submission Requirements: Candidates should submit:
- Project Description (750 words maximum): Outline the proposed new work or existing but incomplete music-based project. The description should explain how the project and the Award will advance the candidate’s artistic and career development.
- Project Plan: A preliminary timeline for project completion.
- Budget summary: provide estimates of revenue and expenses. If expenses exceed the Award’s prize amount, candidates must demonstrate how they will secure the additional revenue.
- Candidate Description: C.V. including a list of works and activities to date.
- Support Materials: The musical scores of three works, plus accompanying recordings of these works in performance (where possible). Electroacoustic pieces may be presented without written scores.
Submission format: Proposals should be delivered using the CMC’s online form. Written components are entered into the form, and in the case of a score or CV you can link to a PDF file. Links for streaming audio/video support material should also be provided. Proposals received after the January 23 deadline will not be accepted and incomplete submissions will not be sent forward to the jury.
CLICK HERE TO VIEW SUBMISSION FORM or use the embedded form below.
Selection Process: A jury comprised of three representatives from Toronto's new music community will assess the submissions and select the successful Award candidate. The jury’s membership will include a mix of composers, artistic directors, and presenters/administrators from Toronto. The Ontario office of the CMC will be convener for the jury. While the jury is instructed to select one winner, the jurors may offer an honourable mention to one other candidate. The decision of the jury will be treated as final and jury comments will not be released. There is no procedure for appealing the jury's decision.
Prizes and Awards: The prize value of the CMC Toronto Emerging Composer Award is $6,000. If the jury offers an honourable mention to a candidate, the Award prize may be reduced to no lower than $5,000 CAN and the candidate receiving the honourable mention may receive a prize of no more than $1,000 CAN. Composers who receive an honourable mention in previous rounds of the Award competition may re-submit in an attempt to win the CMC Toronto Emerging Composer Award.
Condition of Award: The Award winner must submit a one-page progress report and any relevant documentation to the Ontario Regional Office of the Canadian Music Centre (CMC-Ontario) within six months of receipt of the Award. The Award winner, with the support of CMC-Ontario, will make efforts to see their Award project realized for public presentation in a future concert season.
Project Timeline for (2016/2017)
- November 2016-January 2017: Call for Submissions
- February: Jury process and selection of winner
- March: Public announcement of winner, and award presentation
- September: Interim report deadline for Award Winner
Questions & Clarifications: If potential candidates have any questions regarding the Toronto Emerging Composer Award, please contact the CMC Director of Ontario Region, Matthew Fava, by e-mail at email@example.com or by phone at 416-961-6601 x. 207.