The 2017 Bassoon Chamber Music Composition Competition (BCMCC) is open to composers of any age, gender, or country of origin. Submitted works must be for either Reed trio (ob,cl,bsn) OR Trio (ob,bsn,pno). The compositions may be single movement or multi-movement, and must be between 6 and 15 minutes in total duration.
2017 COMPETITION TIMELINE
January 5, 2017: Submissions open online through the BCMCC website
April 15, 2017: Submissions close (midnight Eastern Standard Time)
May 15, 2017: Winner announced
Summer/Fall 2017: BCMCC premiere performance by professional musicians (PEN Trio and Syrinx Trio)
2017 BCMCC PRIZES
The composer of each submitted work will receive comments from the adjudicating panel of professional musicians.
Up to five works may be chosen as Winner(s)
Up to two works may receive an Honorable Mention prize.
The 2017 Winning Composition(s) will receive the following prizes:
1. Workshopping of the piece via email, Skype, Google Hangout, and/or some other means of communication.
2. The name of the work and bio of the composer will be listed on the BCMCC website.
3. Publication of the work through Imagine Music Publishing: The publishing agreement for the winning piece will be worked out between
Imagine and the winning composer, including royalties earned from each score sold to be paid semi-annually.
4. BCMCC premiere of the work and at least one additional performance by the PEN Trio and Syrinx Trio.
5. Recording of the BCMCC premiere.
2017 Honorable Mention winners will be listed on the BCMCC website and social media. They will also be given the opportunity to include a recording of their work on the BCMCC website pending Board approval.
2017 ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
1. Open to all composers regardless of age, gender, or country of origin.
2. A composer may submit only one entry per competition year.
3. Previous winners may not compete.
4. Completed applications must be received on or before April 15th, 2017 at midnight Eastern Standard Time.
5. Late submissions will not be accepted.
6. The submission must be a new work written within the last 5 years (2013-2017) that has not been previously published or widely performed professionally.
7. Works submitted must for either Reed trio (ob,cl,bsn) OR Trio (ob,bsn,pno).
8. The compositions may be single movement or multi-movement, and must be between 6 and 15 minutes in total duration.
9. A performance history must be provided for works that have been previously performed.
10. A $25 application fee is required
11. An anonymous PDF score and MIDI sound recording are part of the application process.
LIVE RECORDINGS ARE NOT ACCEPTED
12. Incomplete applications will not be processed. All fees submitted are non-refundable.
13. All decisions are final. If the judges feel it necessary, no prizes will be awarded.
14. Additional terms and conditions apply, as outlined below.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The composition I am submitting for the BCMCC was written by me and is a new work written within the last 5 years that has not been previously published or widely performed professionally. The submitted composition cannot be published until after I have been notified by the BCMCC of the competition results (by May, 2017). If I am not a finalist in the BCMCC I retain all rights to publish and perform my composition.
If I am selected as a winner in the BCMCC, I grant the right to the BCMCC premiere performance of my composition to the BCMCC. If the BCMCC does not perform my work before December 31, 2017, I retain the right to the premiere performance thereafter. I also grant the BCMCC the right to perform my composition in future BCMCC performances. I will work with Imagine Music Publishing to have my composition published.
If I am selected as a winner of the BCMCC, I agree that the BCMCC may use my name and the title of my composition in materials pertaining to the BCMCC.
Applications for the 2017 BCMCC will be open from January 5, 2017 through April 15, 2017.
The BCMCC utilizes an online application process. The online application process has three parts and must be completed in one sitting. You will need the following information:
1. Your basic information including an email address – this will be the main method of contact by the BCMCC
2. Upload the score of your composition
• Scores must be submitted in a Finale or Sibelius style notation, as PDFs in 8.5 x 11 format. All scores must be anonymous, meaning you must remove your name from all locations on the score.
• Your score must be labeled lastname-bcmcc-score (example: smith-bcmcc-score.pdf)
• The limit per uploaded file is 10MB.
• The total of all files submitted may not exceed 20MB.
3. Upload the MIDI sound recording of your composition- LIVE RECORDINGS ARE NOT ACCEPTED
• mp3 format
• Your recording must be labeled lastname-bcmcc-audio (example: smith-bcmcc-audio.mp3)
• The limit per uploaded file is 10MB. Multiple files are accepted.
• The total of all files submitted may not exceed 20MB.
• NOTE: All file size limits are 10MB per file uploaded. An ENTIRE application (combination of all files uploaded) must not exceed 20MB. If your files total more than this, please contact us for an alternative submission process.
1. Tell us how you heard about the BCMCC
2. Agree to the terms and conditions (above)
3. Sign your name electronically
4. Submit your application
1. After submitting your application you will be directed to pay a $25 application fee through Stripe (web and mobile payments). If you are unable to use Stripe (some international cards are not accepted), contact the BCMCC (email@example.com) for an alternate method of payment.
2. Complete your BCMCC application.
After you have completed all three parts of the application process you will receive a confirmation email within 7 days. If you do not receive a confirmation email after a week of completing your application, please contact us (firstname.lastname@example.org)