Announcing the 2nd Calliope’s Call Art Song and Vocal Chamber Music Call for Scores!
Founded in 2014, Calliope’s Call is an innovative art song performance group that concertizes around the United States. Our artists are professional emerging and established singers and instrumentalists who are dedicated to the performance of vocal chamber music and classical art song. Calliope’s Call creates unique and dynamic programs of works by traditional composers as well as living composers of contemporary music to share the entire spectrum of the art song repertoire with audiences.
Composers whose work is selected will receive:
- At least 2 performances of the winning work(s) during the Calliope’s Call concerts in Boston, MA in April 2017
- An audio and video recording of one of the performances
- Advertising on our social media outlets, Calliope’s Call website, and in our newsletter
- The program for the spring concerts will present art songs that fit the theme Scenes from New England. While this theme is meant to be open-ended, it is important that submitted works show an obvious connection to the theme, either through the composer, the poet, or the musical material represented.
- Submitted works must be for any combination of soprano, mezzo-soprano, tenor, and piano, and can be written for solo voice, duet, or trio. Works that feature other instruments besides piano cannot be considered at this time.
- Works for duo or trio will be given priority and applicants are encouraged to submit works for more than one voice if possible.
- Works may be a cappella or with piano.
- Works must be no longer than 10’ in duration. Longer works may be submitted as long as there is a possibility to excerpt portions or movements of the piece.
- Please only submit original art songs; excerpts of operatic works will not be considered.
- Submissions from any composer, regardless of age or citizenship, are welcome.
- Compositions may not require electronics of any kind. Our venues are not able to support electronic set-ups;
- Limit 1 work per $20 application fee. Applicants may submit up to 3 applications.
Each composer must submit:
- A legible score and parts of professional quality;
- An application form to include the composer’s name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, a 250-word biography, and a 200-word explanation of how their work fits the theme, Scenes from New England;
- A digital recording of the work. MIDI realizations are acceptable
- A $20 application fee via PayPal.
- All materials will be submitted online.
Instructions for Submitting Materials:
- All materials (Application form, Score, Recordings, Biography, Paragraph about the work) should be uploaded to Calliope’s Call (below)
- All uploaded documents, scores, and recordings must be labeled in the following manner:
Last name_First name_Title (i.e. Doe_Jane_Biography)
- Multi-movement works may be submitted as different tracks, with the following titles:
Last name_First name_Title_Movement (i.e. Doe_Jane_ArtSong_1)
- Please only submit files and Paypal payments once: if you experience a problem with your submission, please contact Clare Longendyke with your questions.
All materials must be received by February 15, 2017 and applicants will be notified by e-mail no later than March 1, 2017.
For further information or questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org