2017 Rensselaer County School Music Association Composition Contest
1. This contest is open to anyone.
2. The composer’s name MAY NOT appear on the score or compact disc (CD). Any entry received with the composer’s name on the package, score or CD will not be accepted for evaluation. A sealed envelope containing the completed entry form should accompany the score. The CD should be identified by title only.
3. Entries must be the original and unpublished work of the composer.
4. There are no restrictions as to style or form. Compositions must be for traditional concert band, and appropriate to a level 3-4 in the NYSSMA (New York State School Music Association) Rating system.
5. Only one entry per composer may be submitted.
6. Entries must be submitted with a FULL SCORE (which will be reproduced for members of the committee to examine; email submission is acceptable as a pdf on 8½ x 11 paper) and COMPACT DISC or emailed MP3 recording of good quality by the specific instrumentation indicated in the score. Finale (Garritan) or Sibelius recordings saved in CD format will be accepted.
7. Entrants are advised to send all entries by registered or insured mail, if mailing.
8. Entries must be received (not postmarked) by June 1, 2017.
9. The decision of the contest committee will be final. If the committee considers none of the submissions acceptable, a “no prize” decision will be rendered.
10. The winning composer will be required to furnish a sufficient number of error free, legible parts to accommodate the specified instrumentation.
11. The winner will be announced, and the winning composition will be performed at the appropriate 2018-2019 RCSMA All-County festival.
12. All additional performance, copyright, and royalty rights remain with the composer.
13. Composers will be notified of the committee’s decision as soon as possible following the close of the contest. The final decision is expected to be made prior to September 30, 2017.
14. Entry materials will not be returned.
15. Composers should send their entries and direct inquiries to the chair of the committee:
Averill Park High School
146 Gettle Road
Averill Park, NY 12018